After 24 hours of travel, we’re back in Lisbon, relaxing for a few days before we fly home. We still have some Morocco pics to post, but before that we wanted to share some of our favorite places/moments from our trip!
1. El Peten, Guatemala’s jungle province- we loved exploring all of the ancient Mayan temples, swimming in a turquoise lake surrounded by jungle, and all of the howler monkeys.
2. Trekking through the Guatemalan highlands- our first time staying with a local family and first real multi-day backpacking trip. Life changing.
3. Belize- nicest people ever with the coolest English accents.
4. El Salvador- we can’t believe more people don’t visit this incredible country. Plus, Luke learned to surf here so it will always be extra special.
5. Ometepe Island, Nicaragua- misty volcanoes, monkeys, banana pancakes, friendly people, this place is incredible.
6. The wildlife in Costa Rica- waking up and seeing white faced monkeys, howler monkeys and toucans in the jungle from our BED!!
7. Budapest, Hungary- still our favorite city ever. Oh, the baths.
8. Lake Bohinj and Triglav National Park, Slovenia- we would move here tomorrow if we could. Nicest people with amazing scenery. It’s perfection.
9. Brac, Croatia- swimming in the crystal clear Adriatic, amazing olives, friendly people.
10. The cats of Kotor, Montenegro. Enough said. 😸
11. Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina- amazing city, and our hosts were the best and treated us like family.
12. Macedonia, minus Skopje- another country we can’t believe more people don’t visit. Lake Ohrid and our hike around Prilep were our favorites.
13. Brod, Kosovo- what Yugoslavia must have looked like in 1970.
14. Sarande, Albania- the mountains, beaches and sunsets, but especially the day we got lost, and walked through a tiny village full of chickens and goats. The kids stared at us in bewilderment, and the adults looked at us as if to say, “how did you get here!?”
15. Algarve, Portugal- cave beaches, cliffs, amazing scenery.
16. The Sahara Desert, Morocco- Meeting nomads, riding camels, and just the utter vastness of the desert was remarkable. I gasped when I looked up and saw the night sky. Also, homemade couscous.
17. Sidi Ifni, Morocco- pretty beaches and no hassles (a big deal in Morocco!), but more significant because of the other travelers, and a local girl we met. People who had traveled all over Africa… some of the most interesting people we’ve ever met.
18. The cats of Essaouria, Morocco. Enough said. 😸
There are many more subtle and more personal moments that will likely remain private, but right now these stick out in our minds the most!